Friday, September 13, 2013

Awesome day at work!!!!!

If you all remember I recently switched jobs. Currently I work for the homelessness commission and yes I miss therapy but this job has the potential to be rewarding as well. On August 28 (yea Im late) (Joi taught me to schedule posts LOL) I was allowed the pleasure of not only assisting but actually witnessing a man who has been homeless off and on for many years come of the street and into permanent housing.

The first time he became homeless he was a teen. When I think of the things that he has endured a sense of needing to pray and be humble overwhelms me. It was magical and moving. (verbal permission to use his image was granted in the day of move in... just in case)I have so many words but a picture is worth a thousand so I will let them tell the story


I will call him Mr just because he deserves a little privacy... He was not sure initially about the location but after viewing the apartment he became excited and his face actually lit up.



This man has lived on the streets and in shelters and to see him and capture how he is looking at this key brought tears to my eyes. He has said repeatedly that having his own key and being able to turn it in the lock of his own home is powertful and give him great joy.


Other community agencies already had furniture for him so he did not go into an empty apartment.




Move-In_Aug.28


Initially this man was quiet and reserved and after he got the keys he was sooo happy and talkative. The transformation was great to watch. He appeared shy and unsure but the moment he recieved those keys he walked a little taller!

One of my favorite parts was the walk through. you know checking for before damage. Well he was all to happy to do a walk through and point out what was wrong that he DID NOT break!!! It was an amazing experience you all but this and other events at work have lead to a MAJOR mind shift. I will keep you all posted as things transpire. 


*Do you feel fulfilled at your job? Is it your passion?






8 comments:

  1. I love it and congrats to him. Nothing like being able to have your own. I love jobs like this its so inspiring and beautiful to help others and no that you are enjoying your passion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm not sold on the whole passion thing but this day was amamzing!!!! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful fulfilling job. I'm just an accountant lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thanks for reading and accountants are awesome somebody has to manage money and keep track of things while others are saving lives.

      Delete
  3. It's so great that you were able to assist and witness such a powerful transition. It's amazing how seeing what other people had been through humbles us. Thanks for sharing Toya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story Toya! I'm sorry I missed this but glad I could show you something, lol.

    I am very fulfilled teaching classes, promoting positive health as a blogger and pharmacist, but my favorite is teaching the classes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too sweet Toya. Warm fuzzies galore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very sweet... That was probably the best day I had at that job!!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...