Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wellness Wednesday- Change

Change. In its most basic definition means to make different. This is such a small word but so many of us find it extremely hard to do. Part of being happy and healthy is all about making changes or doing something different. My favorite intervention to do when people come to me with the goal of "being happy" (after they define happiness) is to have them identify what is stopping them from being happy. Usually they give me more vague terms like oh I am "sad" or "things just keep happening" my personal struggle "Im not happy with my weight." Just as they are expecting something life shaking from the therapist I simply ask "What are you willing to change to get the results you seek?"

Im usually met with a look of confusion and Ive often been asked "isnt that why I see you."  The joys of my job LOL but in all seriousness the key to most things is change. Lets see... If you are overweight, in a bad relationship, unhappy, even schizophrenic (wellness post coming soon) some form of change can improve all these circumstances.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly yet expecting different results. Life is hard I believe it was designed that way unless you are Blue Ivey or some other mega millionaire baby and even then there will be some struggles just not the financial kind. It is always easier said then done to make changes and that is why I encourage you to start small. Set realistic goals that have an end date. Do not set yourself up for failure. If you do not have a high school diploma then the goal of obtaining a doctorate degree in three years is not for you.

Figure out what your road blocks are then move them out of your way. Or be stuck in your current situation and make no progress. Progress is a journey and you wont wake up overnight and see the results you want, and even I have to remind myself of this daily. Still small steps are steps in a different direction from where you are now hopefully toward your end goal or your ideal of happiness.

What will you change today?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I needed to hear...errr...read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite phrases is "Nothing changes if nothing changes". It has taken me a long time to see that doing weightless the same old way will get me the same old results=nothin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am a new follower to your lovely blog (Via GFC)and it really feel pleasure meeting new awesome bloggers like you. Found you through I Love My Online Friends GFC Hop. I would love it if you follow me back.

    my blog: www.wilsontom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...